Fri, 28 Apr|
Opening the Doors to the Asylum: Mental Health Familiarisation for UKCP
Time & Location
28 Apr 2023, 09:30 – 17:00
Connexus Institute , 5 The Drive, Hove BN3 3JE, UK
About the event
Event price: £275
Booking details: https://www.connexusinstitute.com/asylum
Gaining the knowledge for UKCP Mental Health Familiarisation reports About this course: The UKCP suggests that the title of ‘Psychotherapist’ assumes some generic knowledge and understanding about the structures and systems of mental health services in the UK. Those wishing to register as a UKCP-registered psychotherapist will need to demonstrate a robust familiarity with, and understanding of, these services.
Connnexus Institute is pleased to offer a 15-hour advanced blended professional development course entitled ‘Opening the Doors to the Asylum.’ The course is designed to provide extra support for those wanting to write the Mental Health Familiarisation Placement (MHFP) written report that needs to be inserted into ‘log books’ and presented as part of the UKCP registration process.
The workshop is being delivered in a blended format with two parts: • Part One: A guided self-study component (7.5 hours) comprising 5 tasks with a workbook that will need to be completed prior to the one-day workshop; • Part Two: A one-day workshop, which will take place on Friday 28th April 2023, 9:30am to 5:00pm at our beautiful premises in Hove.
What does this workshop cover?
- Through a mixture of taught input (with plenty of examples), small-group exercises and larger group discussion, in addition to the pre-learning, you will learn:
- A basic understanding of psychiatry and the mental health system, the rights of patients and the psycho-social issues involved
- A familiarity with psychiatric assessment and treatment practices and an understanding of the main principles of the mental health act;
- An enhanced ability to liaise with other mental health practitioners by developing the ability to converse respectfully with other professionals.
- A familiarity with psychiatric assessment and treatment practices, administrative procedures of referral, procedures with regard to compulsory admission and detention of patients;
- An awareness of how a psychiatric diagnostic system is used, with special reference to evidence of psychosis;
- An understanding of the range of “mental illness” that can lead to involvement in the mental health system and a familiarity with specific categories of patients
- A familiarisation with different types of interventions used and their main side effects;
What outcomes can I expect? By the end of the course you will have developed and consolidated your understanding of the first six of the eight criteria needed to complete the Mental Health Familiarisation written report.
Upon completion you will receive a Connexus Institute certificate for 15 hours of CPD.
Who is this course for? This course is essential for anyone wishing to gain registration and accreditation with the UKCP or who wishes to qualify as a Certified Transactional Analyst (CTA) in Psychotherapy.
Course Leader: Patrick Brook BA (Hons), DELTA, MA, Dip.Couns, Dip Sup, CTA(P), PTSTA(P), UKCP Registered Psychotherapist. Patrick is a UKCP registered psychotherapist and supervisor, a Certified Transactional Analyst, CTA (P), a Provisional Teaching and Supervising Transactional Analyst, PTSTA (P) and an NCS Senior Accredited counsellor and supervisor. As well as being the academic director of Connexus Institute, Patrick has a private psychotherapy and supervision practice in Brighton and Hove. He integrates his work as a psychotherapist into his work as a Director and has written and delivered a number of workshops on themes supporting healthier organisational dynamics.