Diploma in Clinical Supervision
June 13 @ 9:30 am - November 8 @ 4:30 pm£1,850
A five-month programme with 12 taught days, June to November 2021 (dates on the Connexus website, link below)
Whether you are looking to move into a supervisory role or are wanting to consolidate your existing supervisory skills into a formal qualification – regardless of the modality you operate within – this course is for you.
Developed to reflect BACP standards for supervisory training the course has a focus on evidence based supervisory practice. This stimulating course reflects co-creative learning at its best and importantly, will provide you with the opportunity to develop your own reflective, style of supervision within your own theoretical frame, and across other therapeutic approaches. It will also explore the differences between offering face to face, online and telephone supervision.
Who is the course for?
Those with a minimum of 3 years post qualification experience who feel ready to undertake the next step in their own professional development and to meet the challenges of a supervisory role. This course is suitable for counsellors, psychotherapists, teachers, mental health workers, medical staff, social workers, consultants, and others in the helping professions.
How will the course be structured?
You will be working in small groups where you bring your existing experience of clinical situations for an enjoyable and respectful interactive learning experience, ensuring you explore every aspect of this dynamic, important and sometimes challenging role.
We want to you to increase your skills as well as your understanding of supervisory theory and there is focus on the practice of supervision. This focus comes from our wealth of experience of running successful supervisory practices and our understanding of the range of skills needed for this role.
You will be expected to undertake 40 hours of supervision under the guidance of a consultative supervisor as part of the course in order to integrate theory into practice and to practise your supervisory skills. The course will also embrace ‘live’ supervision practice sessions with peer and tutor feedback.
Your training embraces a wide range of theoretical models of supervision, supervisory tasks and values, ethics, codes of professional practice, legal issues, the treat/teach boundary, handling safety and risk, diversity, and equal opportunities. We want you to feel prepared to supervise and assess the competence of those with different levels of professional and therapeutic experience and to facilitate different learning styles and different learning needs.
What does it cover?
• The supervisory relationship and what makes for ‘effective’ supervision.
• Developing a working alliance with supervisees
• Establishing and managing an ongoing supervisory contract.
• Examining different styles of supervision
• Handling Fitness to Practice issues
• An overview of the main developmental models of supervision as a way of understanding the ‘task’ and competencies.
• Raising and discussing issues of importance including ethics, boundaries, diversity, disability, culture, and organisational sensitivities
• Working with unconscious process: transference, countertransference, and parallel process
• Supervisory challenge and the potential for shame
• One-to-one versus group supervision considerations
• Long term versus short term practice
• Safety and assessment of risk
• Creative supervision
• Supporting supervisees through accreditation and qualification.
This training is an excellent preparation for:
• Practitioners who might later wish to move towards meeting BACP criteria for Senior accreditation as a ‘BACP accredited Supervisor’.
• TA practitioners wishing to become a PTSTA post qualification as a Certified Transactional Analyst
Assessment and qualification requirements:
• 40 hours of supervision overseen by 10 hours of consultative supervision or monthly whichever is greater.
• 1 x Case Study 3000 words
• 1 x Micro teach on the supervisory subject of your choice.
• 1 x Group assessment of a live recording.
• Additional subject specific reading will be required.
What outcomes can I expect?
At the end of the course, you will be able to practise as a qualified supervisor with individuals and groups and across therapeutic and professional fields and approaches. You will have developed a network of peers to support you in your supervisory practice and on successful completion, you will be awarded a Connexus Institute Diploma in Clinical Supervision with 120 of hours of CPD, as part of our ‘Ongoing Professional Development’ programme.
Jonathan Lake: MSc TA Psychotherapy, BSc Psychology, CTA, PTSTA, UKCP Registered Psychotherapist, Supervisor and Supervising Transactional Analyst (STA).
Jonathan is widely respected as a trainer, tutor and is a highly experienced facilitator of supervision training. He works for several leading educational institutes and corporations, the latter focusing on workplace stress, trauma, and disaster recovery. He works as Facebook’s onsite psychotherapist and supervises at Freedom from Torture. In his private practice in East and North-West London he is particularly interested in couples work, bereavement, and developmental trauma.